Patchouli is a very popular component in many fragrances and aromatic compositions. I am sure that each of you came across this aroma in your life but probably didn’t realize it. Today I am going to provide you with all the known information about this magical plant and give some recommendations on the perfumes with patchouli that you can use in your life.
What is patchouli?
Patchouli is a species of suffrutescent tropical plants from the family Lamiaceae, commonly called the “mint” or “deadnettle” family reaching 60-90 cm in height. The green part of the plant, which has a wonderful and strong smell and has been used in perfumes for centuries, is decorated with white-pink flowers. The usual zone of its growth is Asia, but any warm climate is also suitable. Today, several species of Pogostemon are cultivated in Asia, West Africa, and South America, serving as a source of patchouli oil.
The name patchouli comes from the Tamil words patchai, meaning “green,” and ellai (“leaf”). The origin of the name indicates the homeland of the plant – the region where the Dravidian language was spoken; it is spoken by the Tamils of the entire Indian subcontinent. We have to thank Napoleon Bonaparte for bringing the aromatic substance derived from the plants of patchouli to Europe. Napoleon brought to France a couple of cashmere shawls found in Egypt, flavored with patchouli, which has a repellent property. The wonderful oriental fabrics soon began to be easily reproduced in Europe, but the sellers still ordered the oil in the East.
Patchouli in perfumes
Patchouli is an integral and indispensable element of the whole perfume genre – chypres. This aroma is described as earthy, grassy, with a voluminous green heart and woody base. Some people claim that patchouli smells like paper money and that this aroma attracts material success. I haven’t noticed that yet, but I know that if you make massage with this oil (add a couple of drops into some base oil), it will invigorate and energize your body. The aromatic characteristics of patchouli oil are highly dependent on cultivation techniques and collection times, drying methods and distillation techniques. The highest quality oil is obtained from the top three or four pairs of leaves of the plant, they contain most of the oil. Proper drying is ensured by placing leaves and branches on the drying surface and turning them over frequently to prevent rapid fermentation. When the process is completed, the leaves are separated from the branches and placed in wicker baskets to begin fermentation, where they release their wonderful aroma.
High-quality oil has a rich dark green hue and a rich, musky-earthy aroma with a woody tint. Usually, it is used as the base note in perfumes, combining with many essential oils: vetiver oil, sandalwood, and cedarwood, bergamot, jasmine, rose, vanilla and others. Another interesting property of patchouli oil is that with age it only gets better and richer, acquiring a deeper and richer aroma with a light fruity hue.
Perfume with pachouli for women
In this section, I am finally going to mention some most popular perfumes with a distinct patchouli note.
1) Smoky Coromandel Eau de Parfum by Chanel: Woody and warmly spicy, definitely oriental, this is a great perfume for a business meeting or date.
2) Stunning White Patchouli by Tom Ford: Legendary perfume with white patchouli. The patchouli and while flowers motive can’t be left unnoticed, as well as the spicy coriander at the start, light flowers, fluffy peony, and warm bergamot. This perfume is great for changing seasons, especially in the daytime. It’s lasting with great sillage.
3) Idylle Duet Rose-Patchouli by Guerlain: Rosy and woody, this balsamic and warm spicy shade of perfume for women will attract attention. The dominant notes are the Bulgarian rose, powdery violet and frankincense.
4) Soft flowery Mistral Patchouli by Atelier Cologne: A distinct patchouli fragrance strikes the imagination as well as its spicy warmth. In the starting chords, you can hear a juicy, slightly bitter pomelo, spicy black pepper and star anise. The heart motif is a noticeable geranium, frankincense; and a neat, barely audible iris. The base contains the Tahitian vetiver and benzoin.
5) Earthy Nightfall Patchouli by Carolina Herrera: The spicy aroma is distinguished by amazing patchouli brought from Indonesia. In addition to it, benzoin and cinnamon sticks are included.
I know that some of the perfumes are incredibly hard to find, I am almost 100% sure that this perfume is very rare and doesn’t belong to the shelves in Walmart or any mass market places. Well, I have good news for you, I found an online shop, where you can buy samples and decants of rare and niche perfumes like this one. HERE is the link to this particular perfume, but there is a great variety of other perfumes as well in small amounts. Buying samples and decants helps you saving a LOT of money on perfumes, you have a possibility to taste the beauty of niche and lux perfumery for funny money and find out your perfect perfume!
Worth mentioning: Gucci Envy, unfortunately, this fragrance is no longer produced, I remember that I had it when I was 20 y.o. and didn’t really appreciate the richness and nobility of this amazing perfume. It’s gracious, sexy, cold and animalistic, so controversial but so attractive and fresh. I would love to get a little bottle of this now, but alas…
Perfume with pachouli for men
Perfumes with patchouli are also well-presented in the men’s section, let’s take a look at some of them:
1) L’Homme Sport by Lanvin: Vibrating and refreshing energy embodies true masculinity and strength. Lightness and rapid freshness open the composition with notes of bergamot and lemon. Delicate lavender and spicy sage in the “heart” gently flow into the viscous shade of patchouli in the sillage, which is complemented by a purely masculine aroma of moss and musk.
2) Dupont Pour Homme is a wonderful classic fragrance from a famous brand. Even without opening the bottle, you will feel the warmth that it radiates with the warm woody notes of rosemary, sandalwood, and coriander gracefully interwoven with cinnamon, patchouli, and cypress.
3) Guilty Intense pour Homme by Gucci: This persistent and bold composition was created specifically for a confident man who knows and gets what he wants.
4) Blackpepper by Comme des Garcons: Hot and explosive, insolent and sensual, it’s a mysterious scent of a bottomless abyss.
5) And finally, my favorite Patchouli composition, which I would gladly wear myself, welcome Patchouli Noble by EISENBERG: Equally extravagant and sophisticated, a real explosion of spices. The bright and explosive union of myrrh and musk will reveal the sensual side of patchouli. Don’t be afraid to be sincere and open yourself to this refreshing feeling.
I wonder, what are your favorite perfumes with patchouly? Do you like the smell of patchouli in general? Do not hesitate to share your ideas in the comments below!